24 January 2011

craft post!

Today's craft made me so happy I felt the need to post it on its own; Baby J did a great job. He picked the subject (a bus), and did most of the "painting." We re-purposed  re-used a sheet of watercolor paper, matting, and a frame from the thrift store that's been laying around the house for awhile waiting to be transformed into something fun.
Happy baby!

Because I'm a noodle and forgot to buy watercolors (and I feared the possibilities of an epic tragedy using acrylics), we had to improvise. I drew on the basic idea of the picture with black crayon, then we soaked the paper, and ran different colors of markers over different areas. Then Baby J "painted" the colors, effectively spreading them out and mixing them together. We were impatient (ie, I was impatient), so we dried the paper with the hairdryer (and "vacuumed" each other, too), then added more details with crayons. 
About to reassemble!

Last step, fitting the paper back into the old matting, and picking a place in the playroom to hang it! 

I originally intended for a sunny day, but Baby J wanted rain; sunshower it is!
A detail of the bus.


Later gators!

6 comments:

  1. I think Baby J is such a smart boy and can draw so well! I'm dismayed by my own lack of artistic inclination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I definitely bogarted the drawing part (but he did get to put a huge black zig zag on the front of the bus!). The fun part about projects like this is you can basically copy any drawing/picture/pattern with the black crayon, and the water colors will just fill in around it! Very basic and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable!!! Very creative idea with the markers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!!! Very creative idea with the markers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Baby J is such a smart boy and can draw so well! I'm dismayed by my own lack of artistic inclination.

    ReplyDelete