23 September 2011

fat of the land: cool season growing

I have a few herbs in my raised bed up by the house, and though it's cool and raining, everything but the curry plant (not actually tasty, or actually curry-like-the-spice at all, but fragrant and perhaps useable for potpourri) is pretty happy. I'd like to be able to take some herb cuttings this spring to transplant around the storm shelter behind the house. The rocks that build up around the shelter actually create kind of a pretty landscaping opportunity, though I'm pretty partial to using herbs as ornamentals. I've never been particularly calmed or charmed by beds of flowers or managed gardens (though I do enjoy wildflowers), but I love, love, love herbs. I love brushing my hand over a tight clump of green stuff, or gently tweaking a single leaf, and being rewarded by a fragrant emission, whether sweet or floral, savory or citrus.

We found out recently that we can use some of our benefits to buy seeds, as long as they can be purchased from grocery stores. The awesome DHS worker actually recommended Whole Foods (not my favorite place to use EBT, since the folks working the registers usually kind of stammer and stare and because I feel highly visible as poor, fat, and weird-acting/looking) because they have the widest selection of seeds available. So I guess I'll be putting on my big kid boots (read: definitely not going alone and not lingering) and heading out to what is, generally, the more welcoming of the two Whole Foods locations around Nashville. I have an acquaintance who works or used to work there, so it helps to think, "Oh, I could possibly run into this really nice person" instead of, "Oh, this is going to suck and be hell."

So far, as far as planting goes, I'm looking at broccoli, cabbage (actually have one of these in the raised bed), cauliflower, collards, cucumbers, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, mustard greens, Irish potatoes (we'll see if I can find these, because that would be awesome), radishes and spinach (list from Transition Now). We still have to tear down or bush hog the old garden and turn it over a bit before we can get the new stuff in, and if we get the seeds before we get everything torn down, I'll probably start some seeds in egg cartons to get the process started. 

Dear Mr. Landlord, please let us use your tractor and bush hog because that would be uhhhhaaamazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment